[NHCOLL-L:5287] RE: Sealing wet collection jars

Dirk Neumann Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Wed Feb 23 10:16:36 EST 2011

Hi Ashley

Bakelite consists of Paraformaldehyde-monomers which are cracked e.g. by
residual formaldehyde emitting / escaping from (formalin) fixed
specimens. PE-lids (with additional PE-liners inside) work fine, as long
as you don't have any aggressive denaturing agents added to the alcohol.
These PE-liners even can protect Bakelite lids (we have some of those
from the 1970ies in still good condition in the collection).

Would agree that Parafilm is not reliable in the long run. You should
consider to replace those lots with glasses & lids as Andy suggested.
This is more cost efficient in the long run compared to the consumed
working time for keeping on track of eventual evaporation issues and
costs for replacing the ethanol. Even more, since when filling up with
70% ethanol, you further dilute the ethanol (topping residual alcohol at
a concentration of ca. 40-50% with 70 % will roughly end up at a
concentration round about 50 % - depending on the added volume of course).

John Simmons nice book is a perfect guide for fluid collections
(available at approx. 11U$)

Dirk

--
Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/