[NHCOLL-L:5295] RE: Tape on bottles

Judith Price JPRICE at mus-nature.ca
Wed Feb 23 13:55:56 EST 2011

Paul, thanks for the summary of your institution's results. It is most
informative.

We also replaced the jar lids in our collections at the Canadian Museum
of Nature, using staff time and qualified volunteers. However since the
collections were at that time still in unsuitable accommodation, we also
added polypropylene tape with acrylic adhesive as an extra measure of
security. We did extensive testing on this alternative, as documented in
the 1996 paper by Steigerwald and Laframboise available in Collection
Forum.

Taping could be done under supervision by volunteers not qualified for
full exposure to chemicals. An unexpected side benefit has been the
ability to 'eyeball' collection activity through the use of two colours
of tape over the 15 years it has been in place. All our
alcohol-preserved collections have been taped including General
Invertebrates, Malacology, Crustaceans, Ichthyology, Mammals, Birds,
Reptiles and Amphibians.

Anyone concerned about masking problem lids could certain purchase the
clear product available from SpecTape. I know we had some very large
containers from which big, now-stiff specimens could not be safely
removed and opted to tape well those lids for which we could not source
replacements at the time.

I'm glad there has been so much input on the value of replacing lids,
and I certainly don't intend to suggest that taping could be a panacea
for all ills. It is one more barrier method we can apply at the
container level to mitigate risks to specimens.

Judith