[NHCOLL-L:5302] Re: question re: natural history loan support

malcolm McCallum malcolm.mccallum at herpconbio.org
Fri Feb 25 12:28:05 EST 2011

ONe thing to consider is that when museums seek grants one of the critical
items of information is usership of the collections.  The more difficult you
make it for others to use your collections, the less likely they are to be
used.  this will lower the perception of the collections value.  Its a
librarian viewpoint, if the book isn't being read, throw it in the trash as
its value is gone....and yes that is what libraries are doing right now.
 Museums are not far behind.  Some museums charge for shipping, other only
make you pay for return shipping.

Malcolm McCallum

--
Malcolm L. McCallum
Managing Editor,

"Peer pressure is designed to contain anyone with a sense of drive" - Allan
Nation

1880's: "There's lots of good fish in the sea"  W.S. Gilbert
1990's:  Many fish stocks depleted due to overfishing, habitat loss,
            and pollution.
2000:  Marine reserves, ecosystem restoration, and pollution reduction
          MAY help restore populations.
2022: Soylent Green is People!

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not