[NHCOLL-L:5156] vibration levels for wet collections

Katherine Maslenikov pearsonk at u.washington.edu
Tue Jan 4 14:54:14 EST 2011

Hello,

   We are in the planning stages of a project that will fix the faulty
water-proofing membrane of our building (and 20 years of water leaking
into our collection and office spaces).  This will involve excavating
around the entire building and the use of heavy machinery.  I'm told
they will need to use earth compactors to shore up the earth where they
excavate, in addition to other processes that will cause significant
vibration.  Our fish collection is housed in glass jars of 70% ethanol
on moving compactor units in the basement of the building.
   I'm looking for literature or any studies that would show the effects
of vibration on wet collections, or perhaps that might outline
acceptable vibration limits.  Does anyone have any experience with this
or know of any resources that might help?

Thank you,

-Katherine