[NHCOLL-L:5203] RE: the extinction of natural historians

John Grehan jgrehan at sciencebuff.org
Tue Jan 25 11:41:35 EST 2011

I once had the luxury of surveying the life history of a moth that took up to five years to mature from egg to adult (although I did not know that upper end until making the survey). But that was when I was a student and at that time I did not think too much about the career implications (i.e. that a 'long-term' life history study like this would have any future benefit). Of course, a population study would have been even longer (although over the five years I was able to chart a decline in the population that may have been correlated to forest clearance on an immediately adjacent hillside).

John Grehan