[NHCOLL-L:5211] Re: Preserving a dead shark

Dirk Neumann Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Thu Jan 27 02:43:48 EST 2011

Hi Steven, Simon,

from experiences with preservation of our 200 something Etmopterid
sharks I would adjust Simon's procedure as follows:

Thaw the shark under cold water (don't use hot water)
Pin the fins prior to formalin fixation and try to get the shark in a
somehow natural shape (elsewise you will fix the specimen as bended as
retrieved from the freezer).
Take the tissue sample in advance (immediately after thawing), best take
muscular tissue from inside of the body cavity by cutting the abdomen IN
FRONT of the anus
Cut the body cavity to allow influx of formaldehyde solution into the
belly; this works much better then injections and especially allows
escape of the oil emerging from the liver which elsewise you will have
an awful smelly preservation issue for years (see Simon Moore's comments
on this, you may have a pH-issue with breaking fatty acids).
Consider to wash the specimen with a bit detergent after recovery from
fixation to avoid too much oil in the alcohol.
Sharks are rather easy to preserve and not as sensitive as most bony fishes.

Hope this helps

All the best
Dirk

--
Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/