[NHCOLL-L:5223] Re: Preserving a dead shark

Couteaufin at aol.com Couteaufin at aol.com
Fri Jan 28 13:43:08 EST 2011

I'm not so sure about this.  I prefer to inject and let the formalin
perfuse the tissues from the inside as well as vice-versa.  After all the
autolysing enzymes start within this area first and I have seen a few
'casualties' where injection was not used (even on frozen specimens) and the
penetration of the formalin was just too slow and brains have lost some of their
morphology (and histology).

With all good  wishes, Simon

Simon Moore MIScT, FLS, ACR,
Conservator of Natural  Sciences,