[NHCOLL-L:5533] fresh water gastropod reference

Gegick, Patricia, DCA patricia.gegick at state.nm.us
Fri Jul 8 12:07:03 EDT 2011

Dear list:
I am cataloging a collection of North American freshwater gastropods, but I am having a hard time finding a reference for the taxonomy.  I am currently using a 1982 EPA publication, Freshwater Snails (Mollusca: Gastropoda) of North America by J.B. Burch.  For the other mollusks in our collection we have been following R.T. Abbot, but he only includes one page of common freshwater snails in Compendium of Landsnails.  I am having an especially difficult time assigning the orders.  Can anyone direct me to  a reference?  Thanks.

Patricia J. Gegick
Bioscience Collections Manager
Department of Collections and Research
New Mexico Museum of Natural History & Science
1801 Mountain Road, NW
Albuquerque, NM  87104-1375
Phone:  505.841.2867  Fax: 505.841.2808
email:  patricia.gegick at state.nm.us
"All calculations based on experience elsewhere, fail in New Mexico."  Lew Wallace, New Mexico Territorial Governor 1878-1881