[NHCOLL-L:5537] RE: moth crystals

Furth, David FURTHD at si.edu
Sat Jul 9 04:13:04 EDT 2011

Interesting story.  It is quite clear that the "moth crystals" used in this story were Para-Dichloro-Benzene (PDB) still sold for household use and in the tablets in men's room urinals.  As opposed to Naphthalene (the other "moth crystals) that is an insect repellent, PDB is effective at killing insects (and mold) but is much more volatile and a known carcinogen.

The Department of Entomology (NMNH) at the Smithsonain Institution has never used PDB, but has used Naphthalene for decades.  Over the past 16+ years I have arranged to eliminate most o the Naphthalene crystals from the National Insect Collection there, especially because of the acquisition of new air-tight specimen cabinets; however, there is still some in the very old drawers, because it is very labor-intensive to remove.  I have been looking for external funding to do so, but no luck so far. There is increasing recent evidence that Naphthalene is also carcinogenic and unsafe for humans.

David G. Furth, Ph.D.
Collections Manager (curator)
Department of Entomology
National Museum of Natural History