[NHCOLL-L:5453] Re: Tax receipt evaluation premium for good collection data

csturmjr at pitt.edu csturmjr at pitt.edu
Fri Jun 3 08:43:07 EDT 2011

Mary,

I did a few valuations of shell collections in the 1990's. My working
assumption was that there would be basic locality data. If data was
lacking then I downgraded the value of the specimen. This was based upon
the assumption that shells being sold by commercial enterprises came with
data. Their catalogs formed the basis of my estimates of value. They would
often sell items for less if they were "dataless." I followed their lead.

> Hello,
>
> I would like to know of precedents for applying a premium for good
> collection data on an evaluation for tax receipt purposes to acquire a
> collection of taxidermied trophy animal mounts.  This premium would
> account for a  greater scientific value than a comparable acquisition
> without good collection data.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mary Sollows, M.Sc.
> Curatorial Assistant: Zoology /Adjointe à la conservation des collections
> zoologiques
> Natural Sciences Department / Département de sciences naturelles
> New Brunswick Museum / Musée du Nouveau-Brunswick
> 277 Douglas Ave.
> Saint John, New Brunswick
> Canada  E2K 1E5
>
> Mary.Sollows at nbm-mnb.ca<mailto:Mary.Sollows at nbm-mnb.ca>
> tel: (506) 643-2365
> fax: (506) 643-2360
>
> http://www.nbm-mnb.ca/

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm

President
American Malacological Society 2010-2011

Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine