[NHCOLL-L:5457] RE: Tax receipt evaluation premium for good collection data

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Fri Jun 3 13:13:07 EDT 2011

Rich White wrote:

>In the US, the value which can be claimed for trophy animal mounts
>is what is called "the taxpayer's basis".  That is defined now as
>what the donor paid to have the taxidermy done.  It does not include
>the cost of the hunt, or any adjustments for the size of the trophy
>(record book ranking) of the "scientific value" of the specimen.  In
>the past, before August 2006, those considerations were used to
>determine the value for tax purposes.
>
>Also, in the US, the receiving institution cannot be involved in
>establishing the value of the donation.  That is a matter strictly
>between the donor and the IRS.  The donor, if he or she does not
>know the cost of the taxidermy work, can rely on an appraiser, or
>simply a taxidermist, to establish what the average cost of mounting
>a given animal would have been at the time the work was done.  The
>receiving institution cannot even suggest someone to do that
>appraisal.

If the total claimed evaluation is below US$5000, the IRS *will*
accept an appraised value supplied by the donor, but ONLY if the
appraisal is demonstrably following "Fair Market Value" - some
external source that can be used as a reference point. For donations
valued at $5000 or more, there MUST be an external appraisal.

For self-appraisal, in the case of something like a stamp collection
or coin collection or comic book collection, there are plenty of
pricing catalogs, and these can be fairly trivial to deal with. For
scientific specimens, in general, there are almost no pricing
catalogs (with a few exceptions such as butterflies and some other
"collectible" insects), which makes it much harder to establish FMV.
Moreover, FMV for specimens - even when pricing catalogs are
available - virtually never takes "scientific value" into account; a
rare butterfly costs the same regardless of whether it has good data
or not.

Since I'm an entomologist, I'm intimately familiar with the procedure
for taking a tax deduction - for the thousands of specimens I donate
every year - and for miscellaneous insects such as bees and wasps and
flies, etc., there are almost no external sources for pricing. Up
until a few years ago, a company called "Insects International" sold
specimens of miscellaneous insects (from roaches to click beetles to
crane flies to fig wasps), and the minimum price in their catalog for
ANY insect was US$2.00; that company went out of business, and their
stock was bought up by BioQuip, and the most recent BioQuip catalog
sells miscellaneous insects for a minimum price of US$3.00 each.
Therefore, the FMV for an unidentified insect specimen is $3.00, and
that does not depend on rarity, condition, or quality of data. So,
for any number of miscellaneous insects up to 1666, one can stay
under the $5000 cap, and self-appraise the donation using the
*minimum* pricing, citing the BioQuip catalog as the pricing guide.
If one has specimens of things like butterflies, of course, the
prices are generally much higher, and involve other criteria.

Peace,