[NHCOLL-L:5520] RE: museum displays

Bryant, James JBRYANT at riversideca.gov
Fri Jun 17 14:29:16 EDT 2011

I would think pure, clean sand is archival, especially for exposure to many types of fossils and matrix, but sand can be prohibitively heavy, and depending on the fossils and their state of preservation you may have other, very specific issues (relative humidity, potential pyrites disease, migrating salts, other chemical instabilities, etc.). From an aesthetic point of view, it is interesting to see how some museums have recently installed large mounts of vertebrate fossil skeletons. In its Age of Mammals exhibit, the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County used slices of various forms of decorative rock (mostly marble, it appears at a distance) as the platform for many of their mounts. Very elegant, I think....

James M. Bryant

Curator of Natural History

Museum Department, City of Riverside

3580 Mission Inn Avenue