[NHCOLL-L:5409] Re: Vintage sealants on fluid specimen containers?

Steve Halford halford at sfu.ca
Fri May 6 12:44:50 EDT 2011

Wagstaffe and Fidler (1955) refers to "Cement for Sealing Museum Jars
containing Formalin ---

Asphalt.   4 parts
Gutta-percha.  5 parts

Melt and stir together.  With a knife apply to the edge of the jar and
to the edge of the lid.  Warm both lid and jar near a fire, bring
together and press firmly."

R. Wagstaffe & J.H. Fidler 1955 "The preservation of natural history
specimens. Volume 1-- Invertebrates"  H.F. & G. Witherby London.

Steve.

--
Steve Halford (halford at sfu.ca)
Museum Technician