[NHCOLL-L:5674] 132-400 jar lids

Pellegrini, Rodrigo Rodrigo.Pellegrini at sos.state.nj.us
Wed Oct 5 13:26:46 EDT 2011

Dear colleagues,

I’m in need of finding proper lids for some large jars in our wet collection. As best I can measure, they are 132-400 (could be 133-400, it’s difficult to tell and I don’t know what the industry standard is/was).

Does anyone know of a source? I have been unable to find even metal lids in this size, let alone our preferred standard of Polypropylene with a F217 Polyethylene Liner.
I vaguely remember a telephone conversation I had with our usual lid provider last year, about this size lid. She said she didn’t believe this size was made anymore in any material.

If this is the case:

1)      Do any of you know if it this is true world-wide? Or just in North America? If manufactured elsewhere in the world, I’d appreciate any info (even if the lids aren’t PP—at this point I’d settle for Bakelite or metal, anything is better than nothing, and we can’t afford custom made tanks for as many specimens as need the lids).

2)      Do you know of anybody that could manufacture them on demand? (I imagine they would require a large order if it was possible at all, so hence my next question)

3)      Does your museum need lids this size? If it were possible to have them made, how many would you need? I’m guessing that assuming it was possible, if we pooled our resources it could happen.

Rod

Rodrigo Pellegrini, MA, MS
Registrar, Natural History Bureau
New Jersey State Museum