[NHCOLL-L:5696] Announcement: Field Research on African Carnivores in Kenya

Laura Abraczinskas abraczi1 at msu.edu
Wed Oct 19 16:12:15 EDT 2011

Posted on behalf of Kay Holekamp from Michigan State University
(holekamp at msu.edu).
The complete announcement is in the pdf attachment.

FIELD RESEARCH ON AFRICAN CARNIVORES IN KENYA

We seek highly motivated undergraduates to participate in a carnivore
research program in Kenya funded by the U.S. National Science Foundation
(NSF). The program will support a few undergraduate students for 8 weeks in
June-August, 2012. Students will participate in on-going research in the
Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya.

There are 2 projects that will be available for participation during summer,
2012:
1.	Spotted hyenas and ecosystem health. The spotted hyena is the most
abundant and wide-ranging large carnivore in Africa. In addition to their
plasticity in regard to habitat choice, hyenas are extremely adaptable
carnivores that can survive by scavenging or hunting large and medium-sized
herbivores. Where many other mammalian species occupying African ecosystems
cannot readily adapt to changing environmental conditions, the spotted hyena
is able to thrive. Using the spotted hyena as an indicator for changing
African ecosystems, we may be able to predict changes and modify
conservation practices before it is too late.
*** Work this summer will involve running transects to document space use
patterns of sympatric mammal, monitoring of hyena space-use via radio
telemetry, and daily monitoring of hyena behavior and demography.
2.	Maternal strategies and offspring development. The spotted hyena
displays a protracted period of development characterized by extensive
maternal care and marked by distinct developmental milestones. This project
explores first, how maternal behavior and physiology vary with social rank
and degree of human disturbance and second, what the consequences of
anthropogenic disturbance may be for the development of spotted hyena cubs.
Previous research indicates that adult females in areas of high disturbance
show higher stress levels and lower attendance at communal dens where cubs
are reared.
*** Work this summer will include collection of focal and all-occurrence
behavioral data, organization and analysis of demographic and hormonal data,
and development of field experiments to measure temperament/personality.

Travel costs (airline tickets, room, board, Kenyan visa, etc.) will be
covered by NSF funds, and students will also receive a stipend of $2500.

QUALIFICATIONS
- Will have completed the junior year of college by summer 2012
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens
- Enrollment in an undergraduate program in Biology or related discipline
- Strong writing & analytical skills
- A desire to conduct publishable research
- Willingness to live in a tented research camp in the African bush for up
to 8 weeks
- Positive attitude and interest in learning about other cultures

APPLICATION
See the attachment

database 6558 (20111019) __________

http://www.eset.com