[NHCOLL-L:5626] Re: Using gelatin capsules

hildeb16 at msu.edu hildeb16 at msu.edu
Sat Sep 3 19:48:27 EDT 2011

The capsules are edible and will attract pests.  I once found a mouse
nest with several tiny fossil vertebrae in the center, undamaged.  The
mice had chewed through the cardboard specimen box, removed the
capsules and carried them back to their nest.  However, this was back
in the days when specimen boxes were stored on open shelves.  We store
everything in sealed cases and/or glass vials today but it's something
to keep in mind.