[Nhcoll-l] Update on jar lid liner issue

Hawks, Catharine HawksC at si.edu
Wed Aug 1 19:19:42 EDT 2012

Did Kohls note what was used as the blowing agent? I've seen many polyethylene foams that were blown with gases other than nitrogen that have discolored (yellowed) quite rapidly.

Scott, might this contribute to the deterioration of the liners in Paul's collection?

Cathy
Catharine Hawks
Conservator
National Museum of Natural History, MRC 106
Research & Collections, NHB 394
Smithsonian Institution
PO Box 37012
Washington, DC 20013-7012