[Nhcoll-l] Care for Teaching Collections

Susan Gallagher sugal at voicenet.com
Thu Dec 6 12:27:20 EST 2012

Hello List,

I'm in the process of planning a workshop for teachers and nature center
staff on caring for natural history collections - things like taxidermy
mounts, skull & bones, feathers & nests, etc. Nature centers, parks and some
classrooms are full of this stuff of course, but educators don't often know
how to make it last as long as might be expected for a teaching (i.e.
hands-on) collection.

Keeping in mind that teaching collections are basically doomed to fall into
disrepair eventually, what might be on a list of materials educators would
need to care for their specimens? Easy storage? Cleaning, repair and pest
monitoring supplies? Books or other resources that, without getting too
technical, could give some basic info?

The workshop will be funded with a small grant, so I can buy participants
some take-home materials. But I can also make suggestions on what they could
purchase on their own. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Sue

Susan Gallagher, Chief Naturalist

Carbon County Environmental Education Center

151 East White Bear Drive

Summit Hill, Pennsylvania, 18250

(570) 645-8597

www.carboneec.org

Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as important to the child,
as it is to the caterpillar.

- Bradley Miller