[Nhcoll-l] Status of NPS custodianship agreements

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Fri Dec 14 11:59:43 EST 2012

Ellen Paul wrote:

>We received a response from the NPS regarding the request to have
>the "custodianship" agreement (aka the "Smithsonian" agreement) and
>while some of you may yet succeed in getting a better agreement from
>the NPS, perhaps even the custodianship agreement, working
>individually with the NPS, we have reached the end of a 20-year
>effort to achieve a systemic resolution.
>
>I encourage you all to consult with your legal counsel when
>approached by the NPS to sign any agreement be it the loan
>agreements, the repository agreements, or something else.
>
>Sorry, all.
>
>I was asked to advise the museum community as follows:
>
>After careful consideration of the proposal to draft a common
>repository agreement with multiple institutions, consultation with
>the NPS Director and legal counsel, and review of NPS laws and
>policies, we have identified some key principles that will guide our
>future relations with partner institutions:
>
>Working directly with individual institutions provides our best
>options for addressing the unique opportunities presented by each
>partnership.
>Direct discussion between the principal representatives of both
>parties -- partner institution's staff and NPS staff -- will be
>needed to produce legally sound agreements that consider unique
>circumstances of each proposed partnership.
>
>These principles will guide us as we move forward. I would recommend
>that you advise the institutions, share this email with them so they
>have an accurate understanding of our working principles, and
>encourage the principal representatives of each individual
>institution to work directly with the appropriate NPS staff in
>developing and securing appropriate agreements.

This is very good to know, but it lacks one essential detail:

Who, precisely (or what office within NPS, since the individuals
holding a given post can change) would be the first point of contact
for any of us seeking to initiate such a partnering process?

Thanks very much for taking this proposal to them - clearly it
required a fair bit of effort to get that far. And wouldn't it be
nice if some of the relevant NPS people were on this mailing list,
too? ;-)

Peace,