[Nhcoll-l] wax, butterflies in stores, and food prep

Karen Morton Karen.Morton at perotmuseum.org
Tue Dec 18 12:36:52 EST 2012

Dear List,

The Perot Museum of Nature and Science has officially been open to the public for two and half weeks, and like any new institution we are encountering new challenges we hadn't foreseen.  I have three questions for list members.

1.        What is the latest opinion regarding museum wax or any other substance for holding objects in place?  In this case I am talking specifically about bird eggs.  Our new exhibit displays eggs that are resting on/in their own custom sized hole in a piece of acrylic.  However, our visitors have managed to knock the case around just enough for the eggs to shift and go askew.  They haven't fallen, just wiggled enough so that they are not all sitting straight anymore.  We are working on a way to secure the case to the floor, but would like a little more reinforcement.

2.       Does anyone have any protocols in place regarding the sale of insects in their gift shops?  Our shop has asked if they can set up a butterfly garden demo and sell butterflies (or more likely chrysalises) in containers.

3.       Finally,  does anyone have any protocols regarding special events and food prep in the galleries? I already know the obvious answer - Just don't do it! But that is not always feasible.  How do you work with your events and catering staff to make sure everyone (collections, exhibits, events) is happy?

All helpful suggestions are welcome!

Sincerely,
KAREN MORTON
Collections Manager