[Nhcoll-l] wax, butterflies in stores, and food prep

Bob Glotzhober bglotzhober at ohiohistory.org
Thu Dec 20 07:36:52 EST 2012

I concur with James on the sale of insects -- alive or dead. Aside from the local ecological impact of releases of butterflies -- and commercialization is a concern. Scientific collection of insects almost never threatens populations -- but as soon as you start selling insects (dead or alive) there is a push to collect as many as you can -- with no concern regarding scientific data or the ecological impact. Compare the commercialization of selling insects with past market hunting of things like bison or passenger pigeons. It does not bode well for the species involved.

Bob

Robert C. Glotzhober
Senior Curator of Natural History
Ohio Historical Society