[NHCOLL-L:5825] RE: Percy Earl - 19th C. entomologist, conchologist, carcinologist and ornithologist - the Americas and South Africa

Paul Scofield pscofield at canterburymuseum.com
Thu Feb 2 20:39:44 EST 2012

Hello all,
I am investigating the career of a rather enigmatic 19th century English collector Percy Earl. I have good information on his family and death and details of collection of Moa Bones and other natural history items in New Zealand between 1842 and 1844. But I have drawn a blank on his other collections. He appears to have been in contact and exchange with Guérin-Méneville in the 1830s as Guérin-Méneville named a Columbian beetle after Earl. I know he was on a collecting trip that began in New York in 1836 and that he may have visited Columbia and Cape Town during this trip. I would be most grateful for any leads - do any collections hold material from this fellow?

Regards Paul Scofield
Curator of Vertebrate Zoology
Canterbury Museum
New Zealand