[NHCOLL-L:5798] RE: Use of retention straps for museum collection shelves

Christina M. Cain christina.cain at Colorado.EDU
Tue Jan 24 12:33:02 EST 2012

I have used both Coroplast (corrugated plastic sheeting) cut into thick strips and secured with zip ties or twill tape ties OR the 3" wide twill tape with Velcro sewn to the end for quick release.  Both are relatively inexpensive and an easy project for volunteers.  I hope this is helpful.

Christina Cain
Anthropology Collections Manager
University of Colorado Museum of Natural History
Boulder, CO

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nhcoll-l at lists.yale.edu [mailto:owner-nhcoll-l at lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Alexandra M Snyder
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:33 AM
To: nhcoll-l at lists.yale.edu
Subject: [NHCOLL-L:5796] Use of retention straps for museum collection shelves

Our fluid preserved collections are stored on Amco wire shelving, SpaceSaver compactor shelving units. Due to budgetary constraints after construction (2000) we were not able to fit these shelves with "earthquake" bars or Amco shelf ledges.  Recently, I discovered that the Amco stock shelf ledges, now available through storage solutions businesses, will not fit our system of shelves.
Only custom made ledges are possible, at a considerably higher price.  And, in the near future, we will be undergoing another phase of construction in the MSB, which will involve jack hammering a small portion of the fluid collections floor and then cutting through cinder block wall for new ductwork.

Of course, our concern for vibration, dust, flying concrete chunks, and so forth is great.  We will be covering the shelves with protective barriers for dust and concrete, but would like to get some type of retention bar on the shelves for seismic effects of jack hammering and potential earth temblor (we are on a fault line). Our budget is limited and so, for now, we need a cost effective product that can be used instead of custom manufactured earthquake bars.

Does anyone have experience with or information on the use of shelving retention straps for use in museum fluid preserved collections?  These are 1" nylon webbing straps that run horizontally across the front and side of "pallet style shelves."  They have quick-release buckles (acetal resin).  They are tightened using a D-ring.

Thank you in advance for advice and recommendations.

Alexandra M Snyder
Collections Manager-Fishes
Museum of Southwestern Biology MSC03-2020
302 Yale NE  (Physical Address)
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131 USA
PH/FAX 505.277.6005