[NHCOLL-L:5817] RE: turning mummified bat carcasses into skeletons

White, Rich rwhite at thewildlifemuseum.org
Fri Jan 27 17:12:32 EST 2012

Chicken broth.  No kidding, brush some chicken broth on them let them dry, then feed to the dermestids.  Check them often, though, as the beetles can certainly consume bat bones.  It isn't PC any more, but I used to paint the cleaner portions with phenol to keep the beetles from eating the bone.

Richard S. White, Director
International Wildlife Museum
4800 West Gates Pass Road
Tucson, AZ 85745