[NHCOLL-L:5870] Curation Tactic Inquiries

Phyllis Sun psun at nhm.org
Mon Mar 5 19:46:05 EST 2012

HERE YOU GOOOOOOO

Greetings,

My name is Kathy and I'm a curatorial manager at the Natural History Museum
of LA County at the Marine Biodiversity Center. While going through and
re-curating older sections of our collections, I ran across two rather
odd occurrences and am seeking some advice.

The first is this bright lime green solution in a number of jars preserving
specimens. At first, I thought it might be Bouins, but Bouins tends to be
more yellow based while this is radioactive green. Does anybody have any
idea what liquid is being used? Perhaps Bouins mixed with something? The
data on the jars are not that informative, only containing either a station
number or species name. Some specimens found have been zooplankton,
parasitic isopods, and euphausiid frags, but there's no real pattern. A
picture of one of the jars is attached.

My second question regards sponges. We had a visiting scientist did some
research work on some sponges we have. He separated the spicules entirely
from the sponge and preserved them in a tiny 2mL plastic screw-top vials.
The vials contain only the spicules themselves, no tissue at all. The
problem is the alcohol levels recedes rather quickly in the 2mL vials and
I'm wary of putting them in a cotton-stopped glass vials since there's a
chance the spicules will get stuck in the cotton. Does anybody know of a
better procedure?

Please let me know, I'd appreciate any help or advice.

Best,

Kathy Omura