[NHCOLL-L:5872] Re: Curation Tactic Inquiries

Couteaufin at aol.com Couteaufin at aol.com
Tue Mar 6 05:07:51 EST 2012

Dear All,

I would agree with Dirk in that the staining, now diluted, looks like
picric acid base as found in Bouin's fix.  There is another fixative known  as
Alcoholic Bouin or Dubosq-Brasil's fixative which might have been another
possibility for the orriginal fixative.
As to the spicules problem, I would put all of the vials, with nylon lids,
into a larger container to prevent evaporation.  This technique I have been
 using for about 20 years but not with spicules admittedly and Dirk's
suggestion  may be better, although it seems rather more labour intensive.

With all good  wishes, Simon

Simon Moore MIScT, FLS, ACR,
Conservator of Natural  Sciences,

_www.natural-history-conservation.com_