[NHCOLL-L:5893] RE: Geology specimen identification

Elizabeth Nunan e_nunan at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 12:20:06 EDT 2012

I also ran it by our geologists/mineralogists and got the following:

"looks like sandstone, or a concretion of some sort"

"It
 looks comprised of many layers indicative of a sedimentary rock or a
volcanic rock.  Many processes that operate to form sedimentary
rocks also operate to form volcanic rocks.  It can be tricky to tell the
 difference between the two without a thin section.
"

Elizabeth Nunan

Associate Conservator

Natural Science Conservation