[NHCOLL-L:5916] Re: USDA proposes changes to rules on import on bovine products

Dirk Neumann Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Tue Mar 20 12:42:11 EDT 2012

Dear all,

I went just briefly over this, but if I don't got this wrong, then
import of fresh/blood samples (or other fresh samples of bovids or
camelids) are still prohibited ?!?

Dirk

  29. Section 95.4 is revised to read as follows:

Sec.  95.4*Restrictions*  due to bovine spongiform encephalopathy on the
importation of processed animal protein, offal, tankage, fat, glands,
certain tallow other than tallow derivatives, and serum due to bovine
spongiform encephalopathy.

     (a) Except as provided in paragraphs (c), (d), (e), (f), or (g) of
this section or in Sec.  95.15, any of the materials listed in
paragraph (b) of this section derived from animals, or products
containing such materials,*are prohibited importation into the United
States*  if paragraph (a)(1), (a)(2), or (a)(3) of this section applies:
     (1) The animals have been in any region listed in paragraph (a)(4)
of this section;
     (2) The materials have been stored, rendered, or otherwise
processed in a region listed in paragraph (a)(4) of this section; or
     (3) The materials have otherwise been associated with a facility in
a region listed in paragraph (a)(4) of this section.
     (4)_*Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina,
Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, the Federal
Republic of Yugoslavia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, the
Republic of Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg,
the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Monaco, Norway, Oman, the
Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia,
Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.*_
     (b) Restricted materials: (1) Processed animal protein, tankage,
offal, and tallow other than tallow derivatives, unless in the opinion
of the Administrator, the tallow cannot be used in feed;
     (2) Glands, unprocessed fat tissue, and blood and blood products;
     (3) Processed fats and oils, and derivatives of processed animal
protein, tankage, and offal; or
     (4) Derivatives of glands and*blood and blood products*.
     (c) The import prohibition in paragraph (a) of this section does
not apply if the following conditions are met prior to importation:
     (1) The material is derived from one of the following:
     (i) A nonruminant species and the material is not ineligible for
importation under Sec.  95.13 or Sec.  95.14;
     (ii) Cervids or camelids;
     (iii) Bovines, and the material is not ineligible for importation
under the conditions of Sec.  95.5, Sec.  95.6, Sec.  95.7, Sec.  95.8,
Sec.  95.9, Sec.  95.10, or Sec.  95.12; or