[Nhcoll-l] Fluid collections

Gegick, Patricia, DCA patricia.gegick at state.nm.us
Fri May 25 11:30:11 EDT 2012

Dear Dave,
I strongly recommend you talk to your local and state (if you are a state institution) fire inspector before you purchase anything.  Our fire inspector has insisted that we now store our fluid collection in the yellow fire proof cabinets meant for large amounts of alcohol and other industrial flammable fluids.  These cabinets have no front bars to prevent jars from falling and it is difficult to get extra shelves for cabinets other than the very narrow (12 inch deep) ones.   And then there is the price! Our previous cabinets designed specifically for fluid storage were approved 20 years ago, but when we moved the collection we were hit with these new rules. And fire suppression systems are another worry. Patti