[Nhcoll-l] Pesticides in NH Collections

Bryant, James JBRYANT at riversideca.gov
Tue Oct 2 19:03:43 EDT 2012

Brian:

Just to take a few points a little further, roaches are like all other critters: they need food, water and shelter. In my experience, roaches are not so much a collections pest as a general nuisance, and indicators of other issues. Since they are strongly attracted to vegetable matter (even the starchy glues in corrugated cardboard), I'd guess they are getting something other than vertebrate collections for food. In any interior space, they tend to be very attracted to moisture (drippy sink faucets and floor drains, for instance), so there must be a source somewhere. They don't like well-lit open space, so they are getting into dark crevices and perhaps even your walls for shelter, so there are probably structural issues.

Judging by the aerial view, Nash Hall is a large and complex building. There could be a store of material somewhere else that attracts roaches and your area is getting the "overflow". (Is there a food service of any kind in the building?) The campus is also a crowded and complex landscape. Here in Riverside, our downtown, under-street infrastructure shelters a lot of roaches from our generally dry weather; when it gets very hot in summer, roaches come into our building to escape the heat and aridity. We've used Tempo as an exterior barrier to keep roaches out, so I'd suspect that using it indoors would accomplish little.

As John says, you need to get to the nub of the problem, and trap monitoring is a good direction to go. The good news is that if you solve the roach problem you'll probably also solve a number of other problems.

James M. Bryant
Curator of Natural History
Museum Department, City of Riverside
3580 Mission Inn Avenue