[Nhcoll-l] Freezing lep's

Couteaufin at aol.com Couteaufin at aol.com
Thu Oct 4 05:42:21 EDT 2012

Many thanks to those of you have replied to my rusty/foxed Brimstone
butterflies enquiry.
I also noted another related problem from freezing entomology drawers and
which might require some thought.

Whilst looking through the same collection there were some drawers of small
 geometrids and micromoths where the wings seem to have shifted their
position  slightly.  Some were slightly raised above the norm and some were
slightly  drooped.  I am sure that the specimens were originally set to the usual
 standard so what has caused this?  I suspect that a temporarily raised RH
level as the drawers warm up following freezing, can have slightly hydrated
with  wing-thorax joints and leading to this problem.

With all good  wishes, Simon

Simon Moore MIScT, FLS, ACR,
Conservator of Natural  Sciences and Cutlery Historian,

_www.natural-history-conservation.com_
(http://www.natural-history-conservation.com/)
_www.pocket-fruit-knives.info_ (http://www.pocket-fruit-knives.info/)

_http://uk.linkedin.com/in/naturalsciencespecimenconserve_