[Nhcoll-l] Cleaning mounted birds

Julia Sybalsky orangeskyblue at mac.com
Thu Oct 11 14:33:00 EDT 2012

I'm sorry for being a little late in responding to this post:

We have had success using an adjustable-power HEPA filtered vacuum fitted with microattachments. To make the opening to the vacuum even smaller, we use a plastic disposable pipette cut to create desired diameter and inserted into the end of the micro attachment (it can be secured in place with tape, a piece of teflon sheet, etc.). This set-up gives you a way to apply very low suction in a very localized way so that you can simultaneously remove loose dust and preen the feathers to realign the barbs. If dirt remains after vacuuming, one can sometimes follow this with careful use of dry foam make-up sponges cut to size, but I would only recommend this on robust feathers.

In some cases we have found the limited use of solvent to be needed to reduce stubborn dirt. It is important to do sufficient testing first, since the feathers may react in unexpected ways. Where a cut piece of blotter can be placed behind the feather, solvent can be applied with a soft brush. Excess solvent and residues should absorbed by the blotter so that they are not driven into adjacent feathers.

At the 2012 SPNHC annual conference, Elena Torok, Crista Pack, and Bruno Pouliot presented a wonderful poster comparing case studies using various cleaning techniques for avian taxidermy. They experimented with mechanical, aqueous, and solvent-based methods, and they found that different techniques worked well for different birds. Several of the materials that they tried sound very promising, though I have not tried them and thus cannot make a personal recommendation. They include Leksol AL, an n-propyl bromide-based solvent, and Surfonyl 61, a volatile surfactant, both of which can be used with a piece of blotter in the manner described above. They also had some success using the Bessler Dust-Gun 100 to gently apply its solvent propellant (1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane; the can needs to be upside down) to the surface of the feather, weakening the adsorption of surface dirt so that it may be more easily removed mechanically.

I hope this is helpful.

Julia

Julia Sybalsky
Assistant Conservator