[Nhcoll-l] global unique identifiers and natural history collections

Robert Guralnick Robert.Guralnick at colorado.edu
Sun Oct 14 20:36:39 EDT 2012

  Hi all --- Others did a great job of covering the problem with using
a triple of institution code, collection code and collection number.
 The issue with resolvability and persistence are really important.
When you get a unique identifier for a record, you want to be able to
_do_ something with it.   Something really simple.  Digital Object
Identifiers are now minted for a couple different purposes.  They are
associated with published papers, and they are associated with
datasets in repositories such as Dryad.  For example, here is one:
10.3897/zookeys.209.3699 that resolves to a paper by Vince Smith and
Vladimir Blagoderov titled "Bringing collections out of the dark").
If you go here:  http://dx.doi.org/ and enter that DOI, voila!  You
get back to the paper.

What is handy is DOIs associated with published journal articles are
now incorporated into electronic "references cited" sections, so you
can immediately go from a cited reference to the document at the
journal home.  There are similar use cases we see in the short term
and long term where immediately resolving a DOI to a specimen or its
specimen record would be _very_ handy indeed.  All that is needed is
that DOI placed in a specimen record.  It doesn't replace any other
information!  It just rides along with the other data you have in a
database.

What is also great about DOIs is that they are probably a long term
solution.  The publishing industry uses them and the services for
resolving are there.   Although it has taken me a long time to really
get (or get into) this whole business of unique identifiers in the
context of the World Wide Web, they are beginning to really become
pervasive as they get more and more often attached to datasets, and
ultimately, I think, to data records.

So what still might be confusing is what is an EZID versus a DOI or
other identifiers.  Simply put, there is a value to work with service
providers that have expertise with global unique identifiers.  EZIDs
help with redistribution of DOIs (and also another form identifier
called ARKs that have some useful properties).    Those service
providers might be closer to the community and be able to help work
out some issues for community X that are different from community Y.
Documents aren't datasets or data records, so what works for
publishing journal articles doesn't necessarily work for us in the
collections community.  The value of working with a chain of providers
is that maybe we can leverage the good parts services while tailoring
how it works to be community specific.  At least that is the hope.

I am still working out  how best to explain a lot of this, but
appreciate the great followups and excellent questions.  I feel like
we might get someplace if discussions keep happening.  Thanks for
taking the time to look stuff over and sending along great questions.

Best, Rob
https://sites.google.com/site/robgur/