[Nhcoll-l] global unique identifiers and natural history collections

Mark O'Brien mfobrien at umich.edu
Mon Oct 15 09:27:56 EDT 2012

Reading that whole blog entry gave me a headache.  We have had unique
museum identifiers for many years, starting with printed lists back in the
1960s.    If you dissociate a museum acronym  from a specimen number, it
will cause confusion and perhaps cause more problems.  Let's say that
someone uses a specimen from the UMMZ that has a record number
UMMZI-0023578.  In the resulting publication, it becomes a part of a type
series, and anyone reading that paper would be able to determine (without
even having to go online) that it is from the Univ. Michigan Museum of
Zoology Insect collection.  If it was coded instead with 081-211118-87650
it means nothing without an intermediary decoding via some online portal.
I know the old KISS (Keep it Simple, Stupid) adage means more now than it
ever did, since people have a tendency to make very complex systems because
they can.
Just my two cents.

Mark

Mark F. O'Brien, Collection Manager****