[Nhcoll-l] global unique identifiers and naturalhistory collections

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Mon Oct 15 10:01:17 EDT 2012

David Schindel from BCoL presented at SPNHC this year about an effort to
combine and standardize the three main sources of institution and
collection codes out there right now (along with others I presume) - Index
Herbariorum, BCI and Biocollections.org.  I have copied him on this
message and hopefully he can weigh in on this as to where it standoffs and
what its goals are.

David - please cc NHCOLL-L if you are a member otherwise I will forward
when I receive your reply.

Thanks

Andy

    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
    V                V                V
 Andy Bentley
 Ichthyology Collection Manager
 University of Kansas
Biodiversity Institute
 Dyche Hall
 1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
 Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
 USA

Tel: (785) 864-3863
Fax: (785) 864-5335
 Email: abentley at ku.edu
http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu
<http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu/>

SPNHC President-Elect
http://www.spnhc.org <http://www.spnhc.org/>

                           :                 :
    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
    V                V                V

On 10/15/12 8:56 AM, "Thiers, Barbara" <bthiers at nybg.org> wrote:

>I'm not aware of an effort to resolve institution codes across
>disciplines -- would love to know more about that.  Maybe these are
>within animal collections?  No one has approached me on this subject
>regarding herbarium codes.
>
>Dr. Barbara M. Thiers
>Director, William and Lynda Steere Herbarium
>Editor, Index Herbariorum
>The New York Botanical Garden
>2900 Southern Blvd.
>Bronx, NY 10458-5126
>bthiers at nybg.org
>718 817 8622
>718 817 8809 (fax)
>Download registration form for Index Herbariorum:
>http://sciweb.nybg.org/science2/IndexHerbariorum.asp
>Follow Index Herbariorum updates on twitter: @ihupdates

>>> color="#990099"><span><a class="smarterwiki-linkify"
>>> href="mailto:-----nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu">-----nhcoll-l-bo
>>> unces at mailman.yale.edu</a>
>>> style="padding-right:0px;padding-left:5px;border-left:solid black
>>> 2px;"><span>To: "Bentley, Andrew Charles" &lt;<a
>>> class="smarterwiki-linkify"