[Nhcoll-l] global unique identifiers and naturalhistory collections

Robert Guralnick Robert.Guralnick at colorado.edu
Mon Oct 15 18:39:12 EDT 2012

  Hi Chuck --- I respectfully disagree.  If we want to follow a clear
set of best practices that can assure that our digital records have
persistent, globally unique and resolvable identifiers, and that the
solution can work now and not in ten years or never, then we have a
very limited set of options. I'd like to hear more, but the comment
that "Only parts of the problem can be solved with any one of them" is
not my view.  Or at minimum, there is a conflation of what the problem
is.  The problem that I raised is how we discover digital records that
are on the Internet quickly and effectively, and provide means to
begin tracking these objects (and by the way, thanks so much for all
the comments from everyone out there)!

You want to talk about interlinking data, that is a discussion about
Linked Open Data and the Semantic Web, and really, that is moot for us
unless we can persistently and uniquely and resolvably point to the
things that are out there.

Best, Rob