[Nhcoll-l] Wet collection best practices - historical fluids

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Mon Oct 22 11:02:29 EDT 2012

Hi all

As part of a wet collections best practices initiative led by the conservation department at the Natural History Museum in London and a workshop held at the NHM this past week we are trying to obtain an authoritative list of historical fluids used for fixation and preservation in wet collections from all disciplines.  Besides the obvious fluids used nowadays (formalin, ethanol, isopropanol, glycerin, propylene glycol etc.) if you are aware of a historical fluid used in your collection, I would appreciate a list from you to add to our existing list.  If you are aware of the formulation or chemical makeup of the solution that would be handy too along with the usual concentration that is used.

This information will be used to augment a wet collection best practices document that will be circulated to all through SPNHC and other routes upon completion.

Thanks

Andy

    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>