[Nhcoll-l] heavy lifting in compactor aisles

Jeff.Stephenson at dmns.org Jeff.Stephenson at dmns.org
Mon Sep 10 18:45:29 EDT 2012

Hello,
On behalf of Logan Ivy, Earth Sciences Collections Manager at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science:

The Denver Museum of Natures & Science is building a new collections facility and almost all of the storage will be on compactors.  The Earth Science part of the collection contains some large dinosaur specimens that are only safely moved with machinery, such as pallet jacks and forklifts.  Because of elevator capacity and aisle width constraints, we will not be able to use a standard electric forklift in the area where the dinosaurs will be placed on the compactor shelves.  Since the carriages for the compactors ride just above the floor, there is no room to use the lighter forklifts with wheeled feet projecting out in front.  We need something that lifts about 1200 lbs., has a flat front, and weighs less that about 5,000 lbs., preferably powered.  We are asking the community if anyone has had to deal with a similar problem with compactorized shelves bearing heavy specimens and how they solved the problems.   The industry makes fairly light weight forklifts that you walk behind and control with a pull down yoke, but there may be other solutions out there we have not thought of yet.

Thank you

Logan Ivy
Collections Manager
Earth Sciences