[Nhcoll-l] Storing snake skins

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 22:17:35 EDT 2012

Rod,
If the snake skins are dry, I would keep them dry and store them in glass
jars with good lids (to keep pests away, and that way you can store them
with your other snake specimens).  Be sure the jar label says STORE DRY.
You can fold or loosely roll the skins up to fit them in the jar.

Snake skins are mostly keratin, and according to an accelerated aging study
done by David von Endt and colleagues, keratin is more stable dry than in
alcohol.  You can access the article here:
http://si-pddr.si.edu/jspui/handle/10088/11195

Citation:

Von Endt, D. W., E. R. Yourd and P. E. Hare.  2000.  Spirit collections:
accelerated aging studies concerning the stability of keratin in ethanol
and formalin.  *Collection Forum* 14(1-2):66-77.

--John

John E. Simmons
Museologica
128 E. Burnside Street
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania 16823-2010
simmons.johne at gmail.com
303-681-5708
www.museologica.com
and
Adjunct Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
University Park, Pennsylvania
and
Lecturer in Art