[Nhcoll-l] heavy lifting in compactor aisles

Janaki Krishna jkrishna at umnh.utah.edu
Tue Sep 11 10:59:26 EDT 2012

Hi Logan,
We just purchased a machine based on similar constraints. Having installed compactor shelving in our new space, we knew at full build out our aisles would be only 9' wide. Surveying collegues, we looked at a number of products but decided on a Linde R-16 mast forward reach truck (http://www.lmh-na.com/p_115.php). It is a cross between a counter balance and a straddle fork lift. It does have outriggers but shorter than most straddle trucks. This was important as the outriggers could not go under the shelving, due to the carriages.

Our truck can travel in our freight elevator as including the battery it weighs roughly 6,000 lbs. While this may exclude it for you, I am told this is on the lighter side for a machine of this sort. It can lift 3,500 lbs at full mast forward position. (In most manufacturers' "reach" trucks sold in the US, just the forks extend outwards, our whole mast extends out.) Having just completed the certification training yesterday, I can tell you that 3,500 is the max capability @ 24" load center, but dependant various factors it could be less. We rented a R-16 for a month, to verify it would work in Paleo for our needs. We also purchased a boom to use with the lift, that has been used successfully to remove a large field jacket from the back of a pickup. It is a nice machine to drive, moving very tightly.

Exhibits was also in on the decision as they too would be using it. We looked for a machine that could enter a trailer to retrieve exhibition deliveries. We understand that this truck will not serve all of exhibits needs, but it will many day to day needs.

It is built in Germany and took more than 6 mos. to receive. It is on the pricier side, but the best machine we could find to do what we need it to do. I am told there is another company, Jungheinrich, that makes a similar product. Let me know if you have further questions, happy to help,
Janaki

Janaki Krishna
Registrar
Natural History Museum of Utah