[Nhcoll-l] Using old specimens in SEM/TEM

Edwin Cruz-Rivera edwincruz at aucegypt.edu
Tue Sep 11 16:41:30 EDT 2012

Hello all,
  This query was posted in the Crust-L list where someone recommended I
asked the experts in this list.  Sorry for cross-posting.  Here is the
question:
  What is the best preservation medium for crustaceans in order to do SEM
(and possibly TEM) after long term storage?  I have a number of old samples
that are preserved in 10% formalin/seawater and I wonder if those are
suitable for looking at external and internal (e.g., gut) fine structure.
I do not know the history of the samples (buffered or not, any other
preservatives) because they were "inherited."  If recollection is needed
because these are no good, what then should be the right preservation
protocol?
Your thoughts are appreciated,

Edwin
--
Dr. Edwin Cruz-Rivera
Assistant Professor of Marine Biology

Tel. 20.2.2615.2906
Fax 20.2.2795.7565
Email: edwincruz at aucegypt.edu

"It is not the same to hear the devil as to see him coming your way"
(Puerto Rican proverb)