[Nhcoll-l] Teaching Collections and Protocols

Karen Morton Karen.Morton at perotmuseum.org
Mon Sep 17 17:57:16 EDT 2012

Dear NHCOLL Members,

This question goes out to the museums that have both research collections and teaching collections, and that only have one Collections Manager, or equivalent.  (Although, I would love to hear from anyone on the matter.)

Our education department is looking into increasing the size and scope of their teaching collection, which is currently supervised by me.  I am the only Collections Manager at our museum and we house numerous research collections.  Because our education department is growing so rapidly and expanding their outreach programs, I fear that a significant percentage of my time will be spent caring for the teaching collection, which until now has remained fairly static over the years and has thus been easy to manage.  I'd like to know how other museums handle the acquisitions, cataloging, permitting and other issues that go along with a teaching collection.  Is someone in the Education department responsible for managing the collection but also reports new acquisitions, permit needs, etc. to the Collections Manager?  Does the Collections Manager do it all?  What kinds of protocols are in place to keep the educators and the Collections Manger informed of the activities and needs of the collection?

I look forward to hearing what ANY List Members have to say.

Sincerely,

KAREN MORTON
Collections Manager
Perot Museum of Nature and Science
P 972.201.0595 | karen.morton at perotmuseum.org<mailto:karen.morton at perotmuseum.org>

2201 N. Field Street, Dallas, TX 75202
P 214.428.5555 | F 214.428.4356 | perotmuseum.org<http://www.perotmuseum.org/>

[Description: Perot Museum Facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/PerotMuseum>[Description: Perot Museum Twitter]<http://twitter.com/perotmuseum>[Description: Join the Perot Museum]<http://www.perotmuseum.org/join-the-perot/index.html>

Please note new contact information.