[Nhcoll-l] Specimen drawer cabinets for display

Anderson, Gretchen AndersonG at CarnegieMNH.Org
Thu Sep 27 16:34:10 EDT 2012

Hello Heather -
Are you looking at reusing your current drawers in an exhibition?  Are these Cornell drawers with pinned insects?  If so there are a number of ways to do it. Finally are you looking to display the drawer in a cabinet (have the public pull the drawer in and out?) or as a static display?  I know - lots of questions - but the solution will depend on what you actually want.

If you are looking at pinned insects in Cornell drawers that are to be pulled out by the public you will have to mitigate vibration and shock.  This can be done - but do not underestimate the damage to the specimens.  If this is what you want  - I can give you some suggestions - on or off list as you desire -- I have done a number of study storage drawers of this type, although none with insects. I have dealt with custom wooden cabinets and have also adapted museum quality cabinets to hold the study storage drawers.

We have taken our Cornell drawers and simply included the entire drawer into vitrines, also into a wall case with many drawers. It really looks terrific!

Let me know more specifics.

Gretchen Anderson
Conservation
Carnegie Museum of Natural History.

________________________________
From: nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu [nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu] on behalf of Heather Lerner [hlerner at gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:45 PM
To: Nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu
Subject: [Nhcoll-l] Specimen drawer cabinets for display

We are redoing our insect exhibit and would like to have two sets of specimen drawers on exhibit. I'm not sure where to start in looking for sturdy cabinets with fiberglass protection. Does anyone out there have some experience and ideas? Also, how much can I expect to pay for two 36" tall, 36 wide, 24 deep cabinets of exhibit quality?

Thanks!

Heather

Heather R. L. Lerner, Ph.D., M.S.
Joseph Moore Museum Director
Assistant Professor of Biology
Earlham College
801 National Road West
Richmond IN 47374

Google Voice: 949-GENOMES
Email: hlerner at gmail.com<mailto:hlerner at gmail.com>
http://heatherlerner.com/

The information contained in this message and/or attachments is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any system and destroy any copies.  Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.