[Nhcoll-l] Labelling of alcohol-preserved specimens

Callomon,Paul prc44 at drexel.edu
Wed Apr 3 10:04:59 EDT 2013

The formula of the ink is less important than the degree to which it is bonded into the paper. Laser printers bond the ink in by heating it, which should stabilize it from a powder into a solvent-free thermoplastic.
We have noticed in the last few years that modern laser printers seem to be using less heat, and thus are not bonding inks as tightly, especially into thicker paper stock. Printing on card stock, for example, now results in smears and graying whereas our older printers had no problem. This might be another example of power-saving "eco" design that makes everyone feel better but doesn't get the job done.
As for paper, we have used laundry tag paper since the 1970s, and it holds up in alcohol just fine.

PC

Paul Callomon
Collections Manager in Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General Invertebrates
The Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia, PA  19103
callomon at ansp.org<mailto:callomon at ansp.org> Tel. 215-405-5096
Experience dinosaurs, butterflies, and live animals- all under one roof! Visit the Academy today. ansp.org<http://www.ansp.org>