[Nhcoll-l] Fwd: Labelling of alcohol-preserved specimens

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Wed Apr 3 14:41:55 EDT 2013

Doug

One of the important aspects with this printing system (as has been mentioned with others) is the combination of media and ribbon.  You need to ensure that you are using a wax/resin ribbon as this is the only combination that adheres to the spun bound polyester in any kind of permanent fashion. Alpha Systems has been known to ship the incorrect ribbon at times and folks who have received this have had untold problems with print falling off labels.

I have had an "informal" aging test going on my window ledge now for about 8 years in which I have thermal transfer printed labels in jars in full sunlight (at least when it is shining) in 70% ethanol, 95% ethanol, glycerin and 10% formalin.  In all four cases the labels look as new - no yellowing, cracking, brittleing, fading, loosening of print or any other "symptoms".  Also, as outlined in my article in the SPNHC newsletter, Alpha Systems did have some accelerated aging tests done on the media itself, the results of which were very encouraging.

As I have said before, the price of these things has come down dramatically lately and so should be affordable by most (see below).  We calculated that with the price of media, ribbon and initial outlay for printer, our labels (4inch x 2 inch) cost about 10c each.  The Laserjet heating method seems to me like a lot of work for something that will not last as long.  You need to be cautious with Byron Weston paper also, as it is highly acidic and will leach acidity into your alcohol affecting especially things like larval fishes etc.

Preservation Tag Printing System (prices good as of May 2012)

Software not required for museum applications if you can print from your database
300 or 600 dpi (especially for entomology labels) recommended

Components:
1. Datamax I - Class Thermal Printer - 203dpi, 300dpi, or 600dpi
2. Alpha Systems Preservation Tag
3. Alpha Systems SDR wax/resin Ribbon
4. Software Quoted separately as needed

System 1
Datamax I-4208 Printer (203dpi), w/standard cutter, Ethernet card, one roll of 4"
Preservation Tag and one ribbon. Price: $2,337.00
System 2
Datamax I-4308 Printer (300dpi), w/standard cutter, Ethernet card,one roll of 4"
Preservation Tag and one ribbon. Price: $2,637.00
System 3
Datamax I-4604 Printer (600dpi) w/standard cutter, Ethernet card, Labelview
Software, one roll of 4" preservation tag and one ribbon. Price. $3,341.00

Accessories for Printers
Printhead Cleaning Cloths (Box) $60
Static Brush Kit $35
Software (Optional) $475
(Windows based label design programs available)

Preservation Tag 4" x 500'           4" SDR Ribbon
1 - 7 rolls $290 each                        1 - 7 rolls $72 each
8 - 15 rolls $225 each                      8 - 15 rolls $42 each
Preservation Tag 3" x 695'           3.0" SDR Ribbon
1 - 7 rolls $265 each                        1 - 7 rolls $44 each
8 - 15 rolls $182 each                      8 - 15 rolls $32 each
Preservation Tag 2.7" x 500'        2.8" SDR Ribbon
1 - 7 rolls $251 each                        1 - 7 rolls $41 each
8 - 15 rolls $160 each                      8 - 15 rolls $29 each

Andy

    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
    V                V                V