[Nhcoll-l] Suppliers of wide-mouth 1000 ml screw-top glass storage jars that take plastic caps and inserts?

Grove, Simon (DEDTA) Simon.Grove at tmag.tas.gov.au
Wed Apr 3 17:36:12 EDT 2013

Hello

I suspect that this question has already been asked many times on this forum, but if so, it should make the answering that much easier…

We’ve long struggled, in vain, to find a supplier of glass storage jars that fill the gap in the family of jar-sizes that we use for our wet collections.  We can readily source suitable 500 ml and 2000 ml jars, but no intermediate size.  Ideally, we’re looking for a jar that has the same wide mouth (95 mm) and hence ‘footprint’ as our standard 2000 ml jar, but is only half the height; this would ensure that the plastic lids and polypropylene inserts are interchangeable with the 2000 ml jars.  Currently we waste a lot of space, preservatives and money having to store samples in 2000 ml jars simply because the narrowest dimensions of the material are a little wider than the 63 mm mouth of the 500 ml jars.

Is anyone aware of a supplier of such jars?  Preferably in Australia, but we’re prepared to look world-wide.

Thank you

Dr Simon Grove
Senior Curator, Invertebrate Zoology
Tasmanian Museum & Art Gallery
GPO Box 1164, Hobart 7001 / 5 Winkleigh Place , Rosny 7018
Tasmania
Australia

Phone 61 3 6211 4124
Personal mobile (not paid by TMAG) 0498 318710

http://www.tmag.tas.gov.au/visitor_information/about_us/locations/collections_and_research_facility_rosny

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER
The information in this transmission may be confidential and/or protected by legal professional privilege, and is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed. If you are not such a person, you are warned that any disclosure, copying or dissemination of the information is unauthorised. If you have received the transmission in error, please immediately contact this office by telephone, fax or email, to inform us of the error and to enable arrangements to be made for the destruction of the transmission, or its return at our cost. No liability is accepted for any unauthorised use of the information contained in this transmission.