[Nhcoll-l] 2014 marks centenary of extinction of the PassengerPigeon

Steve Sullivan ssullivan at naturemuseum.org
Mon Dec 2 11:49:10 EST 2013

This is an interesting point.  On the one hand it points out (once again)
the exceptional value of the specimens we maintain in our collections.  On
the other hand, it makes us reconsider what ephemera we keep versus what we
throw away and how we choose to document the seemingly blatantly obvious or
commonplace.  While photographers lugged heavy equipment to civil war
battlefields and similarly difficult places, we have almost no pictures of
wild passenger pigeons.  So far only 2 pictures of live or recently live
birds not from the Whitman flock have been found and will be published next
year in Joel Greenberg's forthcoming book.  People on this list  may be in a
position to find some that we have not been able to.  Please do forward any
leads you have.

--Steve

Steven M. Sullivan  |  Senior Curator of Urban Ecology

The Chicago Academy of Sciences and its Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum

Museum|2430 North Cannon Drive|Chicago Illinois 60614|
<http://www.naturemuseum.org/> naturemuseum.org

Collections|4001 North Ravenswood Ave.|Chicago Illinois 60613|
<http://projectsquirrel.org/> projectsquirrel.org

P 708-937-6253 | F 773-755-5199 | ssullivan at naturemuseum.org

A century of memories and lessons from the Passenger Pigeon at
<http://passengerpigeon.org/> passengerpigeon.org