[Nhcoll-l] The Dangerous Museum

Kate Pocklington dbskcp at nus.edu.sg
Tue Dec 10 22:17:25 EST 2013

Story goes that back in the old days (late 1800's, early 1900's) some chap found a cone snail on a beach in South Africa, it made it back to the museum but sadly he didn't, he got harpooned and killed. (I heard this whilst working at Oxford University Museum of Natural History.)

Personally the most disgusting thing I've come across; a tank of fish, the alcohol had evaporated down to about 5cm in the bottom of the tank (~10%), the whole thing was infested with Megaselia scalaris including the maggots. The tank surfaces were covered with a layer of eggs and maggots. Not to mention how disgusting the smell was... the fish were rotting and the worst part; they were squirming with the amount of maggots. Conservation to the max.