[Nhcoll-l] EXT : The Dangerous Museum

Monaghan, Nigel nmonaghan at museum.ie
Wed Dec 11 16:55:08 EST 2013

Try carrying out taxidermy on a not-dead bear in Belfast, Northern Ireland in the 1970s...

The local zoo polar bear was euthanased and transported to the museum and left overnight awaiting taxidermy. Confusion and rumours had stories of a recovering bear tearing the museum apart, post-mortem death rattle as gases escaped have been blamed for noises that suggested the animal was still alive.

Various versions of this local legend have been in circulation, for one of the more reliable, try the museum website at: http://www.nmni.com/um/News/Peter-the-Polar-Bear-warmly-welcomed-back-to-Ulste

or the more lurid http://www.factotum.org.uk/citywide/articles/bears.html

Nigel

Mr Nigel T. Monaghan,