[Nhcoll-l] Identifying passenger pigeons bones

Nightengale, Laura H lnightengale at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Dec 19 10:24:53 EST 2013

Listeros,

We have just encountered some bird bones in our collection that, although initially thought to be rabbit, have been identified as passenger pigeon. They are from a prehistoric context, placed in a pot that was interred in a Caddo grave.

I would like to photograph the bone, but need some guidance as to what feature(s) in the bone characterize the bird specifically as passenger pigeon. (I am an archeologist...)

Any help appreciated!

Laura Hillier Nightengale
Head of Collections
Texas Archeological Research Laboratory